PiR2
Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.

Writing Task - Paralympic controversy

Ir para baixo

Writing Task - Paralympic controversy Empty Writing Task - Paralympic controversy

Mensagem por Convidado Sex 18 Nov 2016, 10:57

[size=16]Proposal:

Considering the characteristics of the genre as taught by your monitor and as described in page 70 (Voices 4), choose one of the topics below and write an opinion article about it. Research the topic you want to write about in order to enrich your text.
[/size]

[size=16](1)   During the Paralympic Games, international magazine Vogue released a campaign titled “Somos Todos Paralímpicos”, which generated a lot of controversy. The reason for this controversy was because, instead of having paralympic athletes photographed, the advertisers photoshopped disabilities over Cléo Pires’s and Paulo Vilhena’s bodies.
[/size]

[size=16](2)   Recently, Colégio Pedro II was heavily criticized due to having removed the gender indication from its uniforms. This means that, essentially, girls could wear pants (instead of only skirts, as before) and boys could wear skirts (instead of only pants, as before) if they wish to do so.[/size]

Disabled-bodied persons being honored: breaking paradigms

During the Paralympics Games, as we know, Cléo Pires and Paulo Vilhena were part of the campaign “Somos Todos Paralímpicos”. They made the appeal to not only show us that the Olympics sold few, but also to persuade people to buy tickets and attend the events. After this, they were criticized because they were photoshopped without a leg and the other without an arm. There isn’t reason to make a scandal about those famous who pay tribute to people that they admire and made it to demonstrate affection to the challenged.

Then, the tickets were sold in less time compared to the first Olympiads, and the campaign shows that everyone   has a problem, it doesn’t matter whichever be. And we have to stop to think, just because a person doesn’t have a leg or whatever, it doesn’t mean that I don’t have to make an honor for people with disabilities. You don’t need to be a challenged to pay tribute to another challenged, as soon as you don’t need to be a black to be favor of racial quotas, for example, this is hypocrisy.

In the Philosophy, this calls fallacy Argumentum ad Hominem. You attack the character or personality traits of the opponent rather than refute his argument.
Ad hominem attacks may take the form of personal and direct blows against someone, or more subtly throw doubt on his character or personal attributes. The desired result of an ad hominem attack is to harm one's opponent without engaging with his argument or provide your own. As soon as they are paying tribute to able-bodied, this doesn’t mean that they can be necessarily abled-bodieds, they could have any physical problems, even that they don’t have any problem. The system is mostly guilty because a few time was put Sociology and Philosophy as a mandatory in Schools Records, only in 2008 this happened.

That’s why the common sense didn’t need to do that scandal worldwide.  Every person has a problem, whatever it is. Be it mental, physical. The common sense misses lack of text interpretation, and by lack of philosophical and sociological studies, that they didn’t have in the school. We must have a better future to our kids to don’t do this. One educated nation is well-advanced. Only education frees us from ignorance, and make people change the world. That’s why we can make a better future to don’t happen this again. Only so we can do this.  

I would like to knwow that you guys can rate my writing task. how I was on the task...

Regards.

Sincerely,
José Ricardo.

Última edição por José Ricardo dos Santos em Seg 28 Nov 2016, 21:21, editado 1 vez(es)

Convidado
Convidado

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Writing Task - Paralympic controversy Empty Re: Writing Task - Paralympic controversy

Mensagem por JoaoGabriel Qua 23 Nov 2016, 00:03

José Ricardo dos Santos escreveu:[size=16]Proposal:

Considering the characteristics of the genre as taught by your monitor and as described in page 70 (Voices 4), choose one of the topics below and write an opinion article about it. Research the topic you want to write about in order to enrich your text.
[/size]

[size=16](1)   During the Paralympic Games, international magazine Vogue released a campaign titled “Somos Todos Paralímpicos”, which generated a lot of controversy. The reason for this controversy was because, instead of having paralympic athletes photographed, the advertisers photoshopped disabilities over Cléo Pires’s and Paulo Vilhena’s bodies.
[/size]

[size=16](2)   Recently, Colégio Pedro II was heavily criticized due to having removed the gender indication from its uniforms. This means that, essentially, girls could wear pants (instead of only skirts, as before) and boys could wear skirts (instead of only pants, as before) if they wish to do so.[/size]

Disabled-bodied persons being honored: breaking paradigms

During the Paralympics Games, as we know, Cléo Pires and Paulo Vilhena were part of the campaign “Somos Todos Paralímpicos”. They participated on it not only to show us that the Paralympics sold few tickets, but also to convince people to buy tickets and attend the events. After this, they were criticized because they had been "photoshopped", one having an arm removed, and the other a leg. There is no reason to make a scandal about those artists, who paid tribute to people that they admire, and made it to demonstrate affection towards the challenged ones.

As a result, the tickets were sold in less time than compared to the Olympics, and the campaign shows that everyone has a problem, it doesn’t matter whichever be (I would remove this sentence). [And we have to stop to think, just because a person doesn’t have a leg or whatever, it doesn’t mean that I don’t have to make an honor for people with disabilities. You don’t need to be a challenged to pay tribute to another challenged, as soon as you don’t need to be a black to be favor of racial quotas, for example, this is hypocrisy.] We must keep in mind that everyone deserves respect, and those athletes with disabilities deserve even more, as they face true challenges to achieve their dreams. 

In the Philosophy, this is called fallacy Argumentum ad Hominem. You attack the character or personality traits of the opponent rather than refute his argument.
Ad hominem attacks may take the form of personal and direct blows against someone, or more subtly throw doubt on his character or personal attributes. The desired result of an ad hominem attack is to harm one's opponent without engaging with his argument or provide your own. As soon as they are paying tribute to able-bodied, this doesn’t mean that they can be necessarily abled-bodieds, they could have any physical problems, even that they don’t have any problem (You developed well the philosophy idea, but in this latter highlighted part I have no idea on what you tried to say). The system is mostly guilty, once it was only on 2008 that subjects like  Philosophy and Sociology became part of the school curriculum.

That’s why the common sense didn’t have to turn it into a worldwide scandal.  Everyone has its personal issue: be it mental or physical. The common sense misses lack  text  (misses/lack --> redundant) interpretation, and it is due to poor philosophical and sociological studies on schools. The next generation must be part of a better education system, so they will not make the same mistakes as us. An educated nation is a well-advanced one. Only education can free us from ignorance, and allow people to change the world. That’s why we can make a better future to don’t happen this again. Only so we can do this.  

I would like to knwow that you guys can rate my writing task. how I was on the task...

Regards.

Sincerely,
José Ricardo.
JoaoGabriel
JoaoGabriel
Monitor
Monitor

Writing Task - Paralympic controversy Empty Re: Writing Task - Paralympic controversy

Mensagem por JoaoGabriel Qua 23 Nov 2016, 00:13

Jose, I quoted your essay and highlighted things I would change in bold blue. Overall, I would say you are able to organize your ideas on your mind, but you still lack a little bit of practice on how to write it properly, in terms of grammar and text structure. You wrote as you would in Portuguese, and that is why I understood what you meant on most of it, but keep in mind that the way to write in English is not the same as in Portuguese. For example, when you said "we got to stop to think" I know that you meant "temos que parar para pensar", but an English-only speaker would understand something as "We got to stop thinking" = "Temos que parar de pensar", which makes absolutely no sense.
I suggest you to read more articles in English; websites like How Stuff Works are awesome for such. Once you have the English structure on mind, writing/listening/speaking will become much easier. But of course, it takes a while.

I am not a professional writing tutor or something, so my opinion may not be as trustworthy as a professional one. If you know any English teachers, I suggest you talk to them as well.

Best regards!
JoaoGabriel
JoaoGabriel
Monitor
Monitor

Mensagem por Convidado Seg 28 Nov 2016, 21:26

I would do my best to improve my English reading articles in English, practicing it and as soon doing my better.
Thanks a lot!

Convidado
Convidado

Mensagem por Conteúdo patrocinado

Conteúdo patrocinado

Ir para o topo