PiR2
Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.

Interpretação de texto

2 participantes

Ir para baixo

Interpretação de texto Empty Interpretação de texto

Mensagem por rick_547 Hoje à(s) 20:29

The regional accentism that secretly affects life prospects

At age 22, Gav Murphy was living outside his home country Wales for the first time,
working in his first job in media production in London. His South Wales Valleys accent was very
thick, he recalls. He’d say ‘tha’ rather than ‘that’, for instance. He was perfectly understandable; yet
a senior colleague overseeing his work insisted Murphy change his accent so all the broadcasters
sounded uniform on air. The effects of adaptation were far-reaching. “It sort of broke my brain a
little bit,” says Murphy. “I thought about literally every single thing I was saying, literally every
time I was saying it. Moving to standard English was just laborious.”
Foreign-accent discrimination is rampant in professional settings. But discrimination can
also extend to certain native speakers of a language, because of the judgements attached to
particular accents. While many employers are becoming very sensitive to other types of bias, accent
bias remains challenging to root out. But it doesn’t have to be this way.
"Root out" means:

a) explain.
b) predict.
c) eradicate.
d) change.
e) accept.

Gab: letra c
Por que não pode ser d?!

rick_547
Iniciante

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Interpretação de texto Empty Re: Interpretação de texto

Mensagem por Lyrics Hoje à(s) 21:09

Quando usando junto de "out", "root" tem o sentido de remover/eliminar algo. "Root out" poderia ser entendido numa tradução livre como "arrancar pela raíz". Exemplo: "The president promised to root out corruption in the government".

Lyrics
Iniciante

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Ir para o topo